Man shot dead in Shiite oil area: Saudi Arabia
Riyadh: A security official in Saudi Arabia says a man was killed in clashes with police in an oil-rich eastern region, where the country`s Shiite minority has been holding protests against the Sunni ruling monarchy.
The official says a police patrol spotted a number of alleged rioters burning tires near police headquarters in Qatif late yesterday. He says police responded with gunfire when fired upon.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.
Local websites said the man killed in the exchange of fire was 18 years old.
More than a dozen people have been killed in clashes since late last year in Qatif, the kingdom`s main oil export hub where a majority of residents are Shiite Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter