Man shot dead in Shiite oil area: Saudi Arabia
Riyadh: A security official in Saudi Arabia says a man was killed in clashes with police in an oil-rich eastern region, where the country`s Shiite minority has been holding protests against the Sunni ruling monarchy.
The official says a police patrol spotted a number of alleged rioters burning tires near police headquarters in Qatif late yesterday. He says police responded with gunfire when fired upon.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.
Local websites said the man killed in the exchange of fire was 18 years old.
More than a dozen people have been killed in clashes since late last year in Qatif, the kingdom`s main oil export hub where a majority of residents are Shiite Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'