Man shot dead in Shiite oil area: Saudi Arabia
Riyadh: A security official in Saudi Arabia says a man was killed in clashes with police in an oil-rich eastern region, where the country`s Shiite minority has been holding protests against the Sunni ruling monarchy.
The official says a police patrol spotted a number of alleged rioters burning tires near police headquarters in Qatif late yesterday. He says police responded with gunfire when fired upon.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.
Local websites said the man killed in the exchange of fire was 18 years old.
More than a dozen people have been killed in clashes since late last year in Qatif, the kingdom`s main oil export hub where a majority of residents are Shiite Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!