Man shot dead in Shiite oil area: Saudi Arabia
Riyadh: A security official in Saudi Arabia says a man was killed in clashes with police in an oil-rich eastern region, where the country`s Shiite minority has been holding protests against the Sunni ruling monarchy.
The official says a police patrol spotted a number of alleged rioters burning tires near police headquarters in Qatif late yesterday. He says police responded with gunfire when fired upon.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.
Local websites said the man killed in the exchange of fire was 18 years old.
More than a dozen people have been killed in clashes since late last year in Qatif, the kingdom`s main oil export hub where a majority of residents are Shiite Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa