Man shot dead in Shiite oil area: Saudi Arabia
Riyadh: A security official in Saudi Arabia says a man was killed in clashes with police in an oil-rich eastern region, where the country`s Shiite minority has been holding protests against the Sunni ruling monarchy.
The official says a police patrol spotted a number of alleged rioters burning tires near police headquarters in Qatif late yesterday. He says police responded with gunfire when fired upon.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.
Local websites said the man killed in the exchange of fire was 18 years old.
More than a dozen people have been killed in clashes since late last year in Qatif, the kingdom`s main oil export hub where a majority of residents are Shiite Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried