Man steals jewellery in Soviet movie-style robbery
Kiev: Police in western Ukraine detained a man suspected of stealing jewellery and hiding it in bandages on his arm, in a style reminiscent of the cult Soviet comedy, "The Diamond Arm", the Ukrainian interior ministry reported on its website.
The suspect in his 20s provoked a scandal at the hotel where he was staying and checked out without asking for a refund.
"The (hotel) owners were surprised to see him with a bandaged arm, which looked healthy and unharmed when he checked in. After the young man`s departure, the owner found that his collection of golden rings with diamonds was missing," the ministry said.
The suspect was soon detained at a night club, with all the stolen rings on his fingers.
He tried to swallow the largest ring.
According to police, the man had already spent six years behind bars for theft and faces from three to six more years in jail if convicted.
The man obviously borrowed the idea of hiding jewels in a cast from the 1968 movie "The Diamond Arm", considered to be one of the best Soviet comedies.
The movie features famous Soviet actor and clown Yury Nikulin as Semyon Gorbunkov, a friendly and naïve man who goes on a cruise and gets his arm bandaged, along with gold and diamonds, by a gang of smugglers. The smugglers mistake him for a real courier, played by another Soviet movie star, Andrei Mironov.
As the plot unwinds, the courier and his friend try to retrieve the jewellery and Soviet police uses Gorbunkov as bait to catch the criminals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi