Man throws 3-year-old son, himself off NYC roof
New York: A man involved in a custody dispute apparently threw his 3-year-old son off the roof of a 52-story Manhattan apartment building before jumping to his death, according to police.
Authorities said they received an emergency call reporting two jumpers from the building around noon yesterday.
Officers responding to the scene found Dmitriy Kanarikov, 35, of Brooklyn, and the boy on the lower rooftops of two separate nearby buildings.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene and his son, Kirill Kanarikov, was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital, police said.
The boy`s mother had custody of the child and the father, who had visiting rights, was supposed to hand the boy over to the mother at a police precinct yesterday afternoon, authorities said.
Luis Ortiz told the New York Post that he was at the hospital when paramedics rushed the boy there and that they were pumping his chest and working on him.
"You could tell he was slipping away. They said the father was up there, but they didn`t bring anyone else in. It was just heartbreaking. I have two kids of my own. They tried to do the best they could," Ortiz told the newspaper.
Authorities said the father did not live in the building.
Police investigating the deaths left the building in the mid-afternoon to photograph a gray Lexus RX350 parked nearby.
It`s the second time this year that a parent and child have been involved in a fatal plunge from a New York apartment building.
In March, a woman clutching her baby son in her arms plunged eight stories out of a Harlem apartment window to her death, but the 10-month-old survived. Authorities found a suicide note in her home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!