Mexican drug cartel La Familia boss held
Mexico City: The head of Mexico`s notorious drug cartel La Familia has been arrested, officials said.
Jesus Mendez was captured Tuesday by the federal police in the central state of Aguascalientes.
Mendez, a.k.a. "El Chango", was "responsible for murders, kidnappings, extortion and corruption", said Alejandro Poire, technical secretary of the National Security Council.
Mendez`s arrest is the latest blow to La Familia, whose ideological leader, Nazario Moreno, was killed in a shootout with police last year.
The security forces have arrested several cartel bosses in the past few weeks, Poire said, adding that President Felipe Calderon`s administration remains committed to fighting drug cartels.
Calderon deployed thousands of army troops and federal police officers across Mexico to fight criminal organizations after taking office in December 2006.
Mendez was "one of the most-wanted criminals" in Mexico, Calderon said.
La Familia was created in 2006 and is based in the southern state of Michoacan.
More than 15,000 people died in drug-related violence in Mexico last year, and nearly 40,000 people have died since Calderon declared war on the country`s drug cartels shortly after taking office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi