Mexican drug cartel La Familia boss held
Mexico City: The head of Mexico`s notorious drug cartel La Familia has been arrested, officials said.
Jesus Mendez was captured Tuesday by the federal police in the central state of Aguascalientes.
Mendez, a.k.a. "El Chango", was "responsible for murders, kidnappings, extortion and corruption", said Alejandro Poire, technical secretary of the National Security Council.
Mendez`s arrest is the latest blow to La Familia, whose ideological leader, Nazario Moreno, was killed in a shootout with police last year.
The security forces have arrested several cartel bosses in the past few weeks, Poire said, adding that President Felipe Calderon`s administration remains committed to fighting drug cartels.
Calderon deployed thousands of army troops and federal police officers across Mexico to fight criminal organizations after taking office in December 2006.
Mendez was "one of the most-wanted criminals" in Mexico, Calderon said.
La Familia was created in 2006 and is based in the southern state of Michoacan.
More than 15,000 people died in drug-related violence in Mexico last year, and nearly 40,000 people have died since Calderon declared war on the country`s drug cartels shortly after taking office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city