Mexican police catch man who planted `whisky bomb`
Acapulco: A drug trafficker who planted a "whisky bomb" intended for a police commander has been arrested, Mexico`s federal police said on Sunday.
Police said suspect Manuel Mendez allegedly left a box containing a bottle of whisky and 11 pounds (5 kilograms) of explosives outside a store in the western Mexico state of Jalisco in September.
Mendez`s "Resistencia" cartel than sent out word that the whisky was a gift for a local police commander who had purportedly interfered with the cartel`s operations.
The box contained a remote-controlled electronic device to trigger the explosives. It was found by police and deactivated before it exploded.
Police said Mendez, whose nickname is "Kerosene”, was arrested in a suburb of Mexico City. They said the "Resistencia" cartel largely operates in Jalisco.
Mexican cartels have increasingly turned to car bombs and explosives in making attacks on police.
Also on Sunday, two men were found shot to death in a town west of the resort of Acapulco in the Pacific coast state of Guerrero. Both victims had their right index fingers cut off, a practice frequently used by cartels to punish alleged informers.
In Acapulco itself, a state police commander was found shot to death in his vehicle. The body showed signs of torture, the Guerrero state police reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes