Moscow worried for adopted Russian boy in US
Moscow: Russia is worried about the fate of an adopted Russian child in the US to whom Russian consulate workers are being denied an access, a high-ranking diplomat said on Wednesday.
"We are seriously concerned with the situation of Russian child Yegor Shatabalov, adopted by the US citizen Marcia Anne Brandt in 2007 under a ruling issued by the Kemerovo regional court," Konstantin Dolgov, the Russian Foreign Ministry`s envoy for human rights, democracy and supremacy of law.
According to Dolgov, Brandt had been in a same-sex marriage with another woman, Beth Chapman, before 2009. After their break-up, the two women became locked in a custody battle for the boy, who lives in San Francisco.
The custody dispute had become unacceptable and harmed the boy`s psychological well-being, Dolgov said, adding Moscow believed the current circumstances were against the boy`s best interests as the child needed bringing up in a normal family.
The Russian Foreign Ministry had been studying the circumstances of Yegor`s adoption, the official said.
Dolgov said Brandt had concealed her same-sex union when she applied for adoption to bypass the Russian Family Code, which clearly described marriage as a union between a man and a woman.
On Monday, Russia called on the US authorities to punish the adoptive mother of a Russia-born boy who died allegedly due to her criminal negligence.
On February 09, President Vladimir Putin said Russian orphans should be adopted in their homeland.
The conditions for Russian children in the US families turned a hot issue at the end of 2012 when Moscow passed the Dima Yakovlev Act, or the so-called Anti-Magnitsky Act, which has banned Americans from adopting Russian orphans in a tit-for-tat response to the US Magnitsky Act.
The US act introduced a blacklist of Russian officials allegedly linked to the death of Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky in a Russian prison in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...