Muslims should `empty` Swiss accounts: Turkish minister
Ankara: Muslims should consider withdrawing their money from Swiss bank accounts in response to the country`s ban on construction of minarets, a Turkish minister said.
"I am certain this (vote) will prompt our brothers from Muslim countries who keep their money and investments in Swiss banks to review their decision," said Egemen Bagis, cited by Turkish daily Zaman.
Bagis is the chief negotiator for Turkey`s European Union accession as well as Minister for European Affairs.
"In 2008, when banks around the world were falling, no bank was affected in Turkey, and the door of Turkey`s banking system is open to them," said Bagis.
Turkish President Abdullah Gul said on Tuesday that Switzerland`s vote was contrary to fundamental rights and freedoms.
His comments were echoed by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who added that it was a bad decision for Switzerland to hold the referendum.
At the weekend a majority of Swiss voters endorsed a ban on mosque minarets in the country.
More than 57 percent of voters, as well as 22 out of Switzerland`s 26 cantons voted in favour of the ban, despite the government`s opposition to such a move, saying it would harm the country`s image.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune