Myanmar appoints first female Cabinet minister
Yangon: A medical doctor has become Myanmar`s first woman to be appointed a full Cabinet minister.
President Thein Sein said on his official website that Myat Myat Ohn Khin has been appointed minister of social welfare, relief and resettlement. She is among ten new ministers appointed to fill posts left vacant since a major Cabinet reshuffling last month.
Other female post holders in the Cabinet are deputy ministers.
Among other ministries affected are defense, finance, and national planning and economic development.
Today`s appointments added four civilians to the government, bringing their total to one-fourth of the 36-member Cabinet.
Last month`s Cabinet reshuffling was widely considered a move by Thein Sein to consolidate power after coming to office last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?