Myanmar appoints first female Cabinet minister
Yangon: A medical doctor has become Myanmar`s first woman to be appointed a full Cabinet minister.
President Thein Sein said on his official website that Myat Myat Ohn Khin has been appointed minister of social welfare, relief and resettlement. She is among ten new ministers appointed to fill posts left vacant since a major Cabinet reshuffling last month.
Other female post holders in the Cabinet are deputy ministers.
Among other ministries affected are defense, finance, and national planning and economic development.
Today`s appointments added four civilians to the government, bringing their total to one-fourth of the 36-member Cabinet.
Last month`s Cabinet reshuffling was widely considered a move by Thein Sein to consolidate power after coming to office last year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India