Myanmar appoints first female Cabinet minister
Yangon: A medical doctor has become Myanmar`s first woman to be appointed a full Cabinet minister.
President Thein Sein said on his official website that Myat Myat Ohn Khin has been appointed minister of social welfare, relief and resettlement. She is among ten new ministers appointed to fill posts left vacant since a major Cabinet reshuffling last month.
Other female post holders in the Cabinet are deputy ministers.
Among other ministries affected are defense, finance, and national planning and economic development.
Today`s appointments added four civilians to the government, bringing their total to one-fourth of the 36-member Cabinet.
Last month`s Cabinet reshuffling was widely considered a move by Thein Sein to consolidate power after coming to office last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Beyonce dominates MTV Video Music Awards 2016
- Five reasons why you should take a brisk walk every single day!
- Sushma Swaraj calls on Myanmar President
- HEINOUS! Woman set on fire in Delhi for allegedly rejecting marriage proposal
- Expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa says she will not resign from Rajya Sabha