Myanmar appoints first female Cabinet minister
Yangon: A medical doctor has become Myanmar`s first woman to be appointed a full Cabinet minister.
President Thein Sein said on his official website that Myat Myat Ohn Khin has been appointed minister of social welfare, relief and resettlement. She is among ten new ministers appointed to fill posts left vacant since a major Cabinet reshuffling last month.
Other female post holders in the Cabinet are deputy ministers.
Among other ministries affected are defense, finance, and national planning and economic development.
Today`s appointments added four civilians to the government, bringing their total to one-fourth of the 36-member Cabinet.
Last month`s Cabinet reshuffling was widely considered a move by Thein Sein to consolidate power after coming to office last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof