Myanmar appoints first female Cabinet minister
Yangon: A medical doctor has become Myanmar`s first woman to be appointed a full Cabinet minister.
President Thein Sein said on his official website that Myat Myat Ohn Khin has been appointed minister of social welfare, relief and resettlement. She is among ten new ministers appointed to fill posts left vacant since a major Cabinet reshuffling last month.
Other female post holders in the Cabinet are deputy ministers.
Among other ministries affected are defense, finance, and national planning and economic development.
Today`s appointments added four civilians to the government, bringing their total to one-fourth of the 36-member Cabinet.
Last month`s Cabinet reshuffling was widely considered a move by Thein Sein to consolidate power after coming to office last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan