N Korea issues no-sail warning; missile eyed
Seoul: North Korea has announced a nine-day ban on shipping off part of its west coast and South Korea is watching for any signs of short-range missile tests, media reports said on Friday.
"We are closely monitoring North Korea`s military activities as it imposed the no-sail zone from June 19-27," a Defence Ministry official told Yonhap news agency on condition of anonymity.
The JoongAng Daily newspaper carried a similar report.
The no-sail zone was declared near the western port city of Nampo, north of the disputed inter-Korean sea border, the official told Yonhap.
The ministry believes the declaration may be in preparation for a regular artillery exercise but is checking whether there are plans for short-range missile launches, the agency said.
The North has frequently test-launched short-range missiles in the past. But tensions are currently high following the sinking of a South Korean warship near the maritime border in March with the loss of 46 lives.
South Korea, citing the findings of a multinational probe, says a North Korean torpedo sank the ship. It is pressing for United Nations Security Council condemnation of its neighbour.
The North denies involvement and threatens a military response to any UN actions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured