Nelson Mandela family speaks of `grave sadness`
Johannesburg: Nelson Mandela`s family spoke on Saturday of their sadness at losing a humble, caring man they said was a moral guide not only for their clan but for people around the world.
"Tata (father) is gone," family spokesman Temba Matanzima told journalists in Johannesburg.
"His presence was like a baobab tree that provided a comforting shade that served as protection and security for us," -- referring to the massive tree with its famously thick trunk that is sometimes used as a shelter.
"The pillar of the family is gone, just as he was away during that 27 painful years of imprisonment."
Matanzima spoke of the family`s "grave sadness" and described the departed statesman as a caring family leader who made time equally for people rich and poor, great and small.
And he praised Mandela for remaining humble despite having attained the status of international icon.
"We have lost a great man, a son of the soil, whose greatness in our family was in the simplicity of his nature," Matanzima said.
He thanked South Africans and the rest of the world for their messages of love and support.
"Yes, it has not been easy for the last two days. And it won`t be pleasant in the days to come," the spokesman said.
"But with the support we are receiving from here and beyond ... All will be well for the family.
"In our hearts and souls he will always be with us."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh