Nelson Mandela still in hospital in critical condition: Presidency
Johannesburg: Ailing anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela is still in hospital in a critical but stable condition, the South African Presidency said on Saturday, denying media reports that the former President had been discharged.
"Madiba (Mandela`s clan name) is still in hospital in Pretoria, and remains in a critical but stable condition. At times his condition becomes unstable, but he responds to medical interventions," the Presidency said in a statement.
"The Presidency has noted incorrect media reports that former President Nelson Mandela has been discharged from hospital," the statement said, denying reports that said that Mandela had been discharged from the Pretoria hospital where he is being treated for a recurrent lung infection.
The 95-year-old former democracy hero was hospitalised on June 8 and has since been there.
Mandela had a long history of lung problems, dating back to the time when he was a political prisoner on Robben Island during apartheid. While in jail he contracted tuberculosis.
He is revered for leading the fight against white minority rule in South Africa and then pushing reconciliation despite being imprisoned for 27 years.
Mandela, regarded the founding father of South Africa`s multiracial democracy, served as the country`s first black president from 1994 to 1999. He left power after five years as president.
He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993. He retired from public life in 2004 and has rarely been seen at official events since.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof