Nigeria proscribes radical Islamic sect Boko Haram
Abuja: Nigeria`s President Goodluck Jonathan has decreed that two radical Islamic outfits in the country, including Boko Haram sect, be classified as terror groups and approved their proscription.
The order gazetted as `Terrorism prevention and proscription order 2013` affects Boko Haram and its splinter group Ansaru, two groups known for killings and kidnappings in the oil-rich African country.
Presidential spokesman Reuben Abati yesterday explained that this action of Jonathan "officially brings the activities of both groups within the purview of the Terrorism Prevention Act and any persons associated with the two groups can now be legally prosecuted and sentenced to penalties specified by the Act".
On Monday, the United States government placed USD 7 million bounty on the leader of Boko Haram, Ibrahim Shekau, and yesterday the country stated the terror leader could be tried in the US if caught.
Boko Haram and Ansaru insurgents have been attacking government structures, killing politicians, government officials, traditional rulers, soldiers, police and civilians since 2009.
Over 2,000 people have been killed by their activities.
Recently, Jonathan declared a state of emergency in three states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe where the terror groups are known to be more effective in their killing operations.
Nigerian Army moved in to the states and forcefully took over the camps where the groups organised themselves from, especially in Borno state and also released women and children they had as captives.
Earlier, an amnesty committee was inaugurated by the country`s president in a bid to seek truce but the group rejected the offer in a video message broadcast by Shekau.
Boko Haram, a major terrorist group in Nigeria, wants to install an Islamic caliphate in the oil-rich African country with a population of 150 million people equally shared between the two major religions, Islam and Christianity.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know