Nigerian bank to introduce Islamic banking system
Abuja: A Nigerian bank will introduce Islamic banking system that abhors payment of interest on borrowed money and also prohibits the loans to be invested in any trade forbidden by the Sharia laws.
The CEO of FinBank Nigeria Plc Suzzane Iroche has said Islamic banking will be introduced in next three months in the northern state of Sokoto.
The initiative to launch this "new religious financial system" is for those customers who wanted "Islamic banking services for a long time”, Iroche said.
Islamic banks forbid loans to be invested in alcohols or any trade forbidden by Islamic (Sharia) laws, she said.
The decision to flag off this initiative from Sokoto was due to the fact that this city played a pivotal role in promoting Islamic virtues and its historical antecedent.
Sokoto is the seat of Islamic Caliphate in Nigeria and considered as the city where Islam was first introduced in the country.
The plan to introduce Islamic banking comes after CEOs of five banks top Nigerian banks were sacked about a month ago by Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor, Lamido Sanusi for allegedly aiding and abetting money-laundering which ran into billions of Naira.
The country will open its financial space to Islamic and foreign banks, Sanusi said after the incident.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living