Nigerian bank to introduce Islamic banking system
Abuja: A Nigerian bank will introduce Islamic banking system that abhors payment of interest on borrowed money and also prohibits the loans to be invested in any trade forbidden by the Sharia laws.
The CEO of FinBank Nigeria Plc Suzzane Iroche has said Islamic banking will be introduced in next three months in the northern state of Sokoto.
The initiative to launch this "new religious financial system" is for those customers who wanted "Islamic banking services for a long time”, Iroche said.
Islamic banks forbid loans to be invested in alcohols or any trade forbidden by Islamic (Sharia) laws, she said.
The decision to flag off this initiative from Sokoto was due to the fact that this city played a pivotal role in promoting Islamic virtues and its historical antecedent.
Sokoto is the seat of Islamic Caliphate in Nigeria and considered as the city where Islam was first introduced in the country.
The plan to introduce Islamic banking comes after CEOs of five banks top Nigerian banks were sacked about a month ago by Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor, Lamido Sanusi for allegedly aiding and abetting money-laundering which ran into billions of Naira.
The country will open its financial space to Islamic and foreign banks, Sanusi said after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender