Nine Filipinos missing in trip to disputed shoal
Manila: The Philippine coast guard says nine fishermen are missing after venturing out to fish near a disputed shoal in the South China Sea.
Coast guard chief Vice Admiral Edmund Tan says the fishermen left northwestern Zambales province on Oct. 1 and headed toward waters south of the Scarborough Shoal but have not returned. He says the fishermen may have encountered stormy weather.
The area around the shoal is claimed by China and the Philippines.
Tan says the coast guard cannot search the seas due to huge waves but has asked passing ships to be on the lookout for the fishermen.
He says the coast guard is verifying a report that one of the fishermen managed to send a cellphone message to a relative to report their location.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH