`No clear leader between Obama, Republicans`
Washington: Ahead of a crucial vote in Congress, a new Gallup poll suggests that Americans are not clear who should have more influence over the nation`s direction in the next year - President Barack Obama or the Republicans.
Forty-five percent want Obama to have more influence, while 42 percent prefer the Republicans. This marks a slight change from surveys conducted in August and early November of last year when Americans expressed a slight preference for the Republicans.
One of the first items on the agenda of the new Congress with opposition Republicans in control of the House will be a vote Wednesday on the proposed Republican legislation that would fully repeal Obama`s healthcare bill, Gallup noted.
After this highly visible effort to challenge one of Obama`s signature achievements in his first two years in office, the new Republican House leadership plans to introduce a number of additional measures designed to push against Obama`s policies of the last two years.
Naturally enough, Democrats and Republicans across the country have diametrically opposite views on who should have more influence over the direction of the country, the poll noted.
More than eight out of 10 Democrats want Obama to have more influence, while about the same percentage of Republicans want their leaders in Congress to have more influence. Independents are about evenly split, but tilt in the direction of the Republicans in Congress, the poll found.
Republicans are in a stronger political position as this new political year by virtue of their new control of the House and increased number of Republican seats in the Senate.
Still, taken as a whole, the American public is not playing favourites - with as many people wanting Obama to have more influence as those who want the Republicans in Congress to have more influence on the nation`s direction over the next year.
The divided control of government could lead to more debate and political rancour than actual accomplishment coming out of Washington this year, Gallup said.
If so, that may fly to a degree in the face of Americans` preferences about how government should work, it said.
Despite their split preferences on whom they want to have the greatest influence over the course of the nation, Americans generally prefer that their elected representatives attempt to compromise rather than sticking to their core beliefs and thus preventing things from getting done.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM