No proof kidnapped Syria bishops are free: Christian group
Rome: There is "no tangible proof" that two Orthdox bishops kidnapped in Syria have been released, an association of Middle Eastern Christians said Wednesday, going back on an earlier claim that the pair had been freed.
"Yesterday evening we received information from the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate questioning the release of the two bishops," said Catherine Baumont, spokeswoman of the "Oeuvre d`Orient" association which works to help Middle Eastern Christians.
"Unfortunately no tangible proof of the release has been obtained. The situation remains unclear, and we still don`t know who took them," Baumont told a news agency.
The Paris-based association had on Tuesday said that the two -- Bishop Yohanna Ibrahim and Bishop Boulos Yaziji, who were seized on Monday -- had been freed and were at the Saint Elias cathedral in Aleppo.
Jean Clement Jeanbart, Aleppo`s Greek Melkite archbishop, has denied the reported release of the bishops, telling Catholic news agency Asianews that as far as he was aware "the two men were still prisoners".
Aleppo`s Greek Orthodox archdiocese on Wednesday said it had no news on the two bishops.
"We have no new information," Ghassan Ward, a priest at the archdiocese, told a news agency. "We can say that (as far as we know) they haven`t been freed," he added.
Greece`s foreign ministry also cast doubt on the earlier announcement that the pair had been freed, saying in a statement overnight that that information "had not been officially confirmed".
The two men were kidnapped en route from the Turkish border, when armed men intercepted the car they were in, forcing them out of the vehicle in an area outside of Aleppo, Syrian state media and church sources have reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA