North Korea close to developing nuclear warhead: Expert
Seoul: North Korea may need only one more nuclear test before developing a nuclear warhead small enough to mount on a long-range ballistic missile, a Chinese expert said Wednesday.
"If Pyongyang can conduct more tests, maybe with just one more it would be able to have a smaller, more reliable device for its missiles," nuclear policy expert Li Bin, a professor at China`s Tsinghua University, said at a symposium on North Korea hosted by the Asan Institute for Policy Studies here.
In North Korea`s first nuclear test in 2006, it used a small device with a small amount of explosives that was not successful, according to Li, a member of the Chinese delegation that has sought a negotiated end to Pyongyang`s nuclear weapons programme.
"Then they had to add more chemical explosives because the yield wasn`t good. In the third test, they got full yield but the device wasn`t small enough," Li said.
The Chinese expert also said North Korea may have used plutonium in its latest test in February as opposed to uranium, since it is more difficult to miniaturise warheads using the latter.
Since then, China has tried to force North Korea to return to the so-called Six Party Talks - involving the US, China, Russia, Japan and the two Koreas - aimed at ending the isolated country`s nuclear programme.
Most experts believe Pyongyang still has not developed a nuclear warhead small enough to mount on a ballistic missile.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note