North Korea close to developing nuclear warhead: Expert
Seoul: North Korea may need only one more nuclear test before developing a nuclear warhead small enough to mount on a long-range ballistic missile, a Chinese expert said Wednesday.
"If Pyongyang can conduct more tests, maybe with just one more it would be able to have a smaller, more reliable device for its missiles," nuclear policy expert Li Bin, a professor at China`s Tsinghua University, said at a symposium on North Korea hosted by the Asan Institute for Policy Studies here.
In North Korea`s first nuclear test in 2006, it used a small device with a small amount of explosives that was not successful, according to Li, a member of the Chinese delegation that has sought a negotiated end to Pyongyang`s nuclear weapons programme.
"Then they had to add more chemical explosives because the yield wasn`t good. In the third test, they got full yield but the device wasn`t small enough," Li said.
The Chinese expert also said North Korea may have used plutonium in its latest test in February as opposed to uranium, since it is more difficult to miniaturise warheads using the latter.
Since then, China has tried to force North Korea to return to the so-called Six Party Talks - involving the US, China, Russia, Japan and the two Koreas - aimed at ending the isolated country`s nuclear programme.
Most experts believe Pyongyang still has not developed a nuclear warhead small enough to mount on a ballistic missile.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM