North Korea credits new leader with nuke testing
Pyongyang: North Korea on Friday credited new leader Kim Jong Un with spearheading past nuclear testing, as it adds to a growing personality cult around the young son of its late leader Kim Jong Il.
Kim Jong Un`s youth and quick rise have spurred questions in foreign capitals about how ready he is to rule, and North Korea has in recent days said that Kim Jong Un worked closely with his father on military and economic matters.
The North`s official Uriminzokkiri website said on Friday that Kim "frightened" the country`s enemies by commanding nuclear testing in the past. North Korea tested nuclear devices in 2006 and 2009, but the website didn`t specify which tests Kim oversaw.
Uriminzokkiri described Kim Jong Un as "fully equipped" with the qualities of an extraordinary general, even during his years at Kim Il Sung Military University. The website also repeated the North`s claim that he was involved in satellite launching but didn`t elaborate.
Kim Jong Un took over after his father and longtime ruler Kim Jong Il died in mid-December and has quickly been given many of the country`s most important titles.
Kim Jong Un was introduced as heir only in September 2010. Before that he had been kept out of the public eye for most of his life. He was quickly promoted to four-star general and named a vice chairman of the Central Military Commission of the Workers` Party of Korea.
North Korea`s neighbours and Washington have expressed worry about whether he can lead a nation of 24 million with a nuclear program as well as chronic trouble feeding all its people.
North Korea has dismissed concerns about Kim Jong Un`s readiness to lead. A senior official said recently that Kim spent years working closely with his late father and helped him make key policy decisions on economic and military affairs.
Kim Jong Il spent 20 years working under his own father, Kim Il Sung. Even after his father`s death, Kim Jong Il observed a three-year mourning period before formally assuming leadership.
North Korea also reported on Friday that Kim Jong Un inspected two more military units.
Earlier this month, North Korea`s state-run broadcaster aired a documentary that showed him observing the April 2009 launch of a long-range rocket. It was the first indication of his involvement in the launch.
The documentary quoted Kim as threatening to wage war against any nation attempting to intercept the rocket, which North Korea claimed was carrying a communications satellite but the United States, South Korea and Japan say was really a test of long-range missile technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh