North Korean War armistice still in force: UN
United Nations: The armistice ending the Korean War is still valid and still in force, despite North Korea`s claim that it has been nullified, the top UN spokesman said on Monday.
Martin Nesirky said the 60-year-old armistice agreement had been adopted by the UN General Assembly and neither North Korea nor South Korea could dissolve it unilaterally.
North Korea`s Foreign Ministry last week said it was cancelling the armistice after the UN Security Council adopted another round of sanctions to punish Pyongyang for its latest nuclear test.
The country`s main newspaper, Rodong Sinmun, on Monday reported that the armistice was nullified.
North Korea`s mission to the UN did not respond to requests for comment. "The terms of the armistice agreement do not allow either side unilaterally to free themselves from it," said Nesirky, the spokesman for UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
"The secretary-general calls on the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea to continue to respect the terms of the armistice agreement as it was approved by the General Assembly," Nesirky added.
Also on Monday, the North shut down a Red Cross hotline between itself and South used for general communication and to discuss aid shipments and separated families` reunions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'