`Nothing was done about Princess Diana`s murder claims`
British Army officer acknowledged for first time that after learning of claims of alleged SAS involvement in Princess Diana`s death nothing was done for almost two years.
London: A high-ranking British Army officer has acknowledged for the first time that after learning of claims of alleged SAS involvement in Princess Diana`s death nothing was done for almost two years, a media report said on Monday.
Lt Col PH Hagues of the Adjutant General`s Corps (Royal Military Police), in a letter dated August 15, made the startling admission that "no specific action" was taken over suggestions that members of the Special Air Service were involved in Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed`s deaths in 1997, the Daily Express reported.
Allegations relating to the murder plot were made public in July after the court-martial of SAS sniper Danny Nightingale.
These allegations were contained in a letter written in September, 2011, by the mother-in-law of, Soldier N, Nightingale`s former friend and housemate who gave evidence against him.
The seven-page note was handed to Scotland Yard and officers are "assessing" the alleged involvement of the SAS in the couple`s deaths in a horrific car crash in the Pont de l`Alma underpass.
Hagues letter confirmed that inquiries were made into "domestic issues" but not over Diana`s death claims.
"It is my understanding that no specific action was taken in relation to the suggestion that Soldier N or others were complicit in the matters surrounding the death of Princess Diana," he was quoted as saying by the daily.
Soldier N, whose identity cannot be revealed, allegedly told his wife several times that the SAS were involved in the crash.
He apparently claimed Paul Henri, the driver, lost control of the Mercedes when he was blinded by a fierce flash of light and that members of the regiment on a motorbike were responsible, the report said.
The couple`s car smashed into the 13th pillar of the tunnel killing Diana, 36, Dodi, 42 and Paul, 41. Only the bodyguard survived, it said.
Two Scotland Yard detectives questioned Soldier N`s wife at length last month and she is understood to have told them she firmly believes he was telling the truth, the report said.
SAS top brass have ordered an urgent inquiry into how the regiment became entangled in the allegations.
"The Metropolitan Police Service is currently scoping recent information regarding the deaths of Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed. The scoping exercise is not completed," a Scotland Yard spokesman said.