Obama to meet Ukrainian PM at White House on March 12
Washington: US President Barack Obama would host crisis talks with Ukrain`s interim Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk at the White House next week to find a peaceful solution to Russia`s ongoing military intervention in Crimea.
"The visit will highlight the strong support of the United States for the people of Ukraine, who have demonstrated inspiring courage and resilience through recent times of crisis," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said today.
Obama will host crisis talks with Yatsenyuk on Wednesday at the White House. The two leaders will discuss how to find a peaceful resolution to Russia`s ongoing military intervention in Crimea that would respect Ukrainian sovereignty and territorial integrity, Carney said in a statement.
"They will also discuss support the international community can provide to help Ukraine confront its economic challenges, and the importance of uniting Ukraine and working to fulfill the aspirations of the Ukrainian people as they prepare for May presidential elections," he said.
The visit to the US would be Yatsenyuk`s first since he came to head the cabinet following the February 22 ouster of pro-Kremlin president Viktor Yanukovych.
The US has been rallying world support against Moscow after Russian forces reportedly took control of Crimea, an autonomous peninsula within Ukraine with a Russian ethnic majority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender