Obama to nominate new US commander in Republic of Korea
Beijing: President Barack Obama intends to nominate Army Lt Gen Curtis Scaparrotti to succeed Army Gen. James Thurman as the commander of the US Forces in Korea, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced on Friday at a Pentagon press conference.
Scaparrotti currently serves as director of the Joint Staff in the Pentagon. Once he is nominated, the Senate must confirm him for a fourth star and the position.
Thurman, who assumed his post in July 2011 and has served during some of the tensest times on the Korean Peninsula in recent years, is retiring.
Hagel said that Scaparrotti has worked tirelessly on many important issues, particularly the health of the force. He is a proven combat leader, having served in Afghanistan as the commander of the International Security Assistance Force`s Joint Command in Kabul, Hagel noted.
The defense chief said that he discussed the nomination with President of the Republic of Korea (ROK) Park Geun-hye in a May 7 meeting at the Pentagon during her visit to Washington.
"In my conversation with her and other Korean leaders, I heard an outpouring of respect for General Thurman and the job he has done," Hagel said. "They are also clearly looking forward to working with General Scaparrotti."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks