Obama`s Kenyan aunt dies fighting possible deportation
New York: US President Barack Obama`s Kenyan aunt, who won asylum in the United States after fighting possible deportation, has died, her lawyer said Tuesday. She was 61.
Zeituni Onyango died in her sleep in the US city of Boston on Monday night, after falling ill in January, Margaret Wong said.
"The United States Kenyan community mourns the loss of Zeituni Onyango, known to her friends as `Auntie,` and half-aunt of President Barack Obama," Wong said in a statement.
Onyango was granted asylum in May 2010 after going to court to fight a 2004 deportation order, testifying that she faced "tribal violence" in her homeland.
Wong said Onyango had later obtained a green card, or permanent residency in the United States.
She was unearthed by the media in 2008, days before Obama won his historic election as the first African-American president.
Wong said Onyango was born under a mango tree in Kenya, where she raised a family and worked in the computer department at Kenya Breweries.
She was step-sister to Obama`s late father, a Kenyan who married a white American. She gave birth to the future president in Hawaii.
Onyango moved to the United States in 2000 and applied for political asylum two years later, but was turned down. She was ordered deported in 2004.
The White House has said Obama was unaware of her illegal status until November 2008 and denied suggestions that political pressure may have been exerted on the court.
Wong had said Obama did not submit written support for Onyango`s asylum. The aunt said she had severed ties to the president after her troubles became public.
In 2012 she published her memoirs, "Tears of Abuse."
Of her family she wrote: "The Obama Clan is like the Baobab tree; the strength lies in its roots. The conviction to produce results is cherished."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3