`Olmert once made a secret offer to Palestine`
Washington: Former US secretary of state
Condoleezza Rice said then Israeli premier Ehud Olmert made a
secret offer in 2008 for a Palestinian state with holy sites
under international control in a shared Jerusalem.
In excerpts from her new memoir "No Higher Honor,"
obtained by AFP from Crown Publishers yesterday, Rice wrote
that she was astounded when Olmert aired his plan when she
visited him at his home in Israel in May 2008.
It was, she observed, a dramatic hard-to-imagine
development since then US president George W. Bush and Rice
relaunched the peace process in Annapolis, Maryland the
Rice wrote that Olmert would offer the Palestinians,
under the leadership of Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas, some
94 percent of the West Bank with land swaps to account for
Israel`s retaining key settlements.
There would be two capitals, one for Israel in West
Jerusalem and one for the Palestinians in East Jerusalem.
There would be a joint city council with an Israeli mayor and
a Palestinian deputy.
Olmert, she said, then offered to allow perhaps as
many as 5,000 Palestinians to return to land that is now
And she said the Old City would be administered by a
committee of "wise people" -- rather than officials -- from
Jordan, Saudi Arabia, the Palestinian Authority, the United
States and Israel.
Rice recalled: "Am I really hearing this? I wondered.
Is the Israeli prime minister saying that he`ll divide
Jerusalem and put an international body in charge of the holy
She then said Israel wanted US help in obtaining a
list of security demands, aspects of which he knew the
Palestinians might have trouble accepting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues