`Over 100 sex attacks on women in Tahrir Square`
Sydney: Sexual assaults on women have soared with 101 sex attacks being reported amid latest wave of protests in Egypt`s Tahrir Square that led to the toppling of Egypt`s first freely-elected President Mohamed Morsi.
Human rights and women`s groups have condemned the `horrific levels` of sexual violence against women at Tahrir Square.
The group said brutality of the assaults, which included many rapes, was unprecedented and far surpassed reports of sex attacks occurring during previous public protests in and around Cairo`s central square, which was the epicentre of the 2011 revolution, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
According to the report, Operation Anti-Sexual Harassment, a volunteer vigilante group formed to physically rescue women in Tahrir Square, said some female protesters had been raped with knives and sharp objects.
The group added that some women were beaten with sticks and kidnapped in vehicles, with some attacks lasting up to 45 minutes.
A joint statement released by seven human rights and feminist organisations revealed that 101 sex attacks of `varying intensity` took place in and around Tahrir Square between June 28 and July 3.
It is believed that many of the recent attacks were organised by opponents of various protests in a bid to drive people away.
Amnesty International said in a report last year that such attacks appeared to be designed to intimidate women and prevent them from fully participating in public life, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- UEFA Champions League 2016-17 draw; Player of the Year award ceremony — As it happened...
- Kannada actress Ramya attacked with eggs in Mangaluru over 'pro-Pak remarks'
- AFC Ajax keeper Jasper Cillessen joins Barcelona
- Nashik farmer gets 5 paise per kg for onions!
- China faces 1-year ban from weightlifting over doping