Over 300,000 evacuated as typhoon hits China
Beijing: Over 300,000 people have been evacuated from east China`s Fujian province, as Typhoon Soulik impacted the province Saturday, authorities said.
The National Meteorological Center (NMC) said Soulik, the seventh typhoon in this year, made landfall on the Huangqi Peninsula in Fujian at 4 p.m. Saturday, reported Xinhua.
Wind speeds at the typhoon`s center reached a top speed of 118 km per hour when it landed, the NMC said.
All maritime transportation to Taiwan has been suspended. Operations in the ports of Fuzhou, Xiamen and Meizhou Bay have also been suspended, according to provincial headquarters.
Public transportation in the city of Ningde, which is expected to be hit hard by the typhoon, has been suspended since 9.30 a.m. Saturday.
A total of 142 flights have been cancelled at the Changle International Airport of Fuzhou, the provincial capital, since Friday night. High-speed train services have also been suspended.
Some 5,500 soldiers have been dispatched to 18 counties to help in rescue efforts.
The National Marine Environmental Forecasting Center Saturday maintained a top-level warning for sea waves caused by Typhoon Soulik.
Soulik is expected to whip up sea waves as high as 6 to 10 meters in the southern part of the East China Sea, waters near the Diaoyu Islands and the northern part of the Taiwan Strait.
Waters near Zhejiang province and the northern part of Fujian may see waves of 4 to 6.5 meters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath