Over 300,000 evacuated as typhoon hits China
Beijing: Over 300,000 people have been evacuated from east China`s Fujian province, as Typhoon Soulik impacted the province Saturday, authorities said.
The National Meteorological Center (NMC) said Soulik, the seventh typhoon in this year, made landfall on the Huangqi Peninsula in Fujian at 4 p.m. Saturday, reported Xinhua.
Wind speeds at the typhoon`s center reached a top speed of 118 km per hour when it landed, the NMC said.
All maritime transportation to Taiwan has been suspended. Operations in the ports of Fuzhou, Xiamen and Meizhou Bay have also been suspended, according to provincial headquarters.
Public transportation in the city of Ningde, which is expected to be hit hard by the typhoon, has been suspended since 9.30 a.m. Saturday.
A total of 142 flights have been cancelled at the Changle International Airport of Fuzhou, the provincial capital, since Friday night. High-speed train services have also been suspended.
Some 5,500 soldiers have been dispatched to 18 counties to help in rescue efforts.
The National Marine Environmental Forecasting Center Saturday maintained a top-level warning for sea waves caused by Typhoon Soulik.
Soulik is expected to whip up sea waves as high as 6 to 10 meters in the southern part of the East China Sea, waters near the Diaoyu Islands and the northern part of the Taiwan Strait.
Waters near Zhejiang province and the northern part of Fujian may see waves of 4 to 6.5 meters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar