Over 800 inmates escape Tunisian prisons
Tunis: More than 800 inmates
escaped on Saturday from two Tunisian prisons after fires were set
in cells, the official news agency said.
Soldiers and security forces quickly fanned out in a
search of the fugitives and at least 35 were caught within
hours, TAP said, citing military sources.
TAP reported that 522 inmates from the prison in
Kasserine escaped after a fire in two cells, and another 300
inmates escaped from the Gafsa prison.
The two towns are both in Tunisia`s centre-west
region, some 150 kilometres (about 95 miles) apart. Personnel
at the prison in Gafsa were on strike at the time, likely
making the mass exodus by inmates easier.
The North African nation has been hit by social unrest
since the country`s long-time autocratic ruler was ousted Jan.
14 in an uprising.
Some 11,000 inmates escaped from Tunisian prisons
shortly after Zine El Abidine Ben Ali fled into exile. Of
those, several thousand have been caught and nearly 2,000
turned themselves in after the Justice Ministry warned the
escape could worsen their cases, TAP reported.
Earlier, in the capital Tunis, police fired tear gas
at hundreds of Islamists protesting what they said were
offensive comments toward Islam by two teachers.
Protesters chanted "God is Great," and carried banners
including one reading "We do not pardon those who insult the
Several hours of peaceful protest degenerated when
some demonstrators sought to take on police, who immediately
fired tear gas.
The demonstration on the main Avenue Bourguiba was the
latest since Ben Ali was brought down, hounded out of the
country by protesters angry over unemployment, corruption and
repression. Tunisia`s uprising prompted protests around the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery