Over 90 affected by lead poisoning in southwest China
Beijing: Ninety-four people, including 88 children, in southwest China`s Sichuan province were found to have excessive levels of lead in their blood.
Children in Longchang county were found to be suffering from slight to moderate lead poisoning, official Xinhua news agency today quoted Zhu Qishang, a local medical expert, as saying.
The case of lead poisoning was discovered when a resident in Zhoujiasi village in the province was found to have excessive levels of lead in a health check-up and the matter was reported to the county environmental protection bureau on February 25.
The county authorities ordered shutdown of Zhongyi Alloy Co, a lead ingot producing company, the suspected source of pollution. They also organised medical tests for 1,756 residents in four villages within a radius of 800 meters of the company.
Results for 854 of the test takers have come out, and 94 of them were found to have high levels of lead in their blood, Deputy County Governor Kang Houlin said.
Seven children were being treated in Chengdu, the provincial capital. The remaining were placed under home observation.
Excessive amounts of lead in the body can harm the nervous and reproductive systems and cause high blood pressure and anaemia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened