Over 90 affected by lead poisoning in southwest China
Beijing: Ninety-four people, including 88 children, in southwest China`s Sichuan province were found to have excessive levels of lead in their blood.
Children in Longchang county were found to be suffering from slight to moderate lead poisoning, official Xinhua news agency today quoted Zhu Qishang, a local medical expert, as saying.
The case of lead poisoning was discovered when a resident in Zhoujiasi village in the province was found to have excessive levels of lead in a health check-up and the matter was reported to the county environmental protection bureau on February 25.
The county authorities ordered shutdown of Zhongyi Alloy Co, a lead ingot producing company, the suspected source of pollution. They also organised medical tests for 1,756 residents in four villages within a radius of 800 meters of the company.
Results for 854 of the test takers have come out, and 94 of them were found to have high levels of lead in their blood, Deputy County Governor Kang Houlin said.
Seven children were being treated in Chengdu, the provincial capital. The remaining were placed under home observation.
Excessive amounts of lead in the body can harm the nervous and reproductive systems and cause high blood pressure and anaemia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Chill guys! There's still time for Deepika Padukone, Fawad Khan film
- Rio Olympics 2016: Narsingh Yadav's fate hangs in balance as NADA takes final decision today
- Kejriwal, Mamata to attend Mother Teresa's canonization in Rome on Sept 4
- Flood situation worsens in Assam; Uttarakhand experiences intermittent rain
- Katrina Kaif JOKES about her actual thought behind 'Kala Chashma'—READ inside!