Paris shooter who `could still kill` must be arrested: Hollande
Jerusalem: French President Francois Hollande on Tuesday said a gunman who critically wounded a photographer at leftwing newspaper Liberation "could still kill" and must be arrested.
The priority is "to stop this threat to life, who tried to kill and could still kill tomorrow or at any time," said Hollande, who is on a three-day visit to Israel and the Palestinian territories.
After fleeing the daily`s office in the east of Paris, the shooter crossed the city to the La Defense business district, where he fired several shots outside the headquarters of the Societe Generale bank, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said.
Police said they were also checking a statement by a car driver who claimed to have been briefly taken hostage by a gunman near La Defense and forced to drop him off close to the Champs-Elysees.
That triggered a major police operation in and around the French capital`s most famous avenue.
Police said a 27-year-old man was in a critical state in a Paris hospital after being shot by the gunman at around 10:15 am (0915 GMT).
Liberation said the victim -- who had just arrived for his first day`s freelance work at the newspaper -- suffered buckshot wounds to his stomach and chest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'