Patrolling of islands disputed with Japan successful: China
Beijing: China on Monday said patrolling by its marine surveillance ships of the Diaoyu Islands disputed with Japan was successful in establishing its jurisdiction, warding off any challenge by Japanese Cost Guard.
The islands were called as Diaoyu islands by China and Senkaku by Japan. Japan controls waters around the disputed islets.
"These law enforcement and patrol activities demonstrated China`s jurisdiction over the Diaoyu Island and its affiliated islets, achieved the goal of demonstrating China`s sovereignty claim and ensured the country`s maritime interests," said Xiao Huiwu, deputy chief of the Headquarters of China Marine Surveillance.
On Friday, China sent six surveillance ships around Diaoyu Islands and started patrolling the area.
It is the first time that Chinese surveillance ships have patrolled the area after the government here announced last week the base points and baselines of the territorial waters of the Diaoyu Island and its affiliated islets.
Three Japanese coast guard ships and three helicopters followed and monitored the Chinese ships and tried to intercept China`s patrol activities, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The two sides exchanged warnings through radio, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17