Pentagon dispatches 3 aircraft to Israel wildfires
Washington: The Pentagon is dispatching three military aircraft, along with two other planes filled with fire retardant, this weekend to help combat raging wildfires in northern Israel that have killed 41 people.
Three US Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard C-130 Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System (MAFFS) aircraft are scheduled to depart the United States for Israel, the US Agency for International Development (USAID) said in a statement overnight Friday.
Another two US European Command C-130 military cargo planes transporting 2- tonnes of fire retardant will take off from Ramstein Air Base in Germany to arrive over the weekend in Israel.
USAID has also chartered commercial aircraft to deliver 45 tonnes of Fire-Troll fire retardant and 12,000 liters (3,170 gallons) of WD881 Class A foam.
The aid agency is also deploying a team of experts to "join with their Israeli counterparts to help combat the fires," USAID said.
The United States stands prepared to provide additional assistance should it be necessary."
US President Barack Obama called Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday to express his "deepest condolences" for the "tragic loss of life" from the fires, the White House said.
He also vowed a "full court press" to help in the firefighting effort.
The biggest inferno in Israel`s history was still consuming swathes of land on Saturday, with little sign Israeli and foreign firefighters were winning the battle to contain it. More than 17,000 people have been evacuated from their homes.
As the fire raged for a third straight day, Israel`s fire and rescue chief Shimon Romeah said they were still some way off from harnessing the blaze.
"At this stage, we are still far from controlling the fire. It is not us controlling the fire, (it is) the fire which is controlling us," he told army radio.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks