Pirates seize oil tanker in Ivory Coast: Sources
Adibjan(Ivory Coast): Armed men have hijacked a tanker carrying 5,000 tons of oil from an Ivory Coast port and taken it off the coast of Ghana, though its precise whereabouts are unknown, government authorities and maritime officials said today.
The Panamanian-flagged vessel ITRI was first seized last Wednesday as the tanker was preparing to deposit oil at the port of Abidjan, Ivory Coast`s commercial capital, said a statement from the Ivory Coast government communicating for the first time on the case only today.
The statement said officials located the vessel off neighboring Ghana, and that authorities were mobilized.
The tanker, with 16 crew members aboard, was listed as missing, said Noel Choong, head of the International Maritime Bureau`s pirate reporting center in Malaysia. He could not release information about the nationalities of the crew, but said in many previous cases, the pirates released the crew after they had siphoned out the oil and obtained any valuable cargo.
The ship initially had trouble docking because a sand storm reduced visibility, a government statement said. Later, the ship`s captain radioed the port manager to report difficulty maneuvering. Shortly afterward, contact was lost with the vessel.
Then ship consignee Koda Maritime informed port officials that armed men had taken control of the tanker.
Most hijackings in the region occur near oil-rich Nigeria. The first recorded vessel hijacking off Ivory Coast was in October when 14 men armed with knives and AK-47s boarded a tanker carrying 30,000 tons of gasoline. The crew was later released unharmed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Venus-Jupiter conjunction on August 27: Viewing tips! (Watch)
- Staying at budget hotels in Delhi to soon become cheaper
- Sonakshi Sinha looks dayum fresh after 'Akira' promotions! Picture proof
- Delhi University releases seventh cut-off list, admission process begins today
- Man dies in fire in Delhi's Hauz Khas