Police starts crackdown on `Malaysian Spring` ahead of polls
Kuala Lumpur: Ahead of Sunday`s General Elections, Malaysian police on Saturday identified a group trying to organise an Arab Spring-like revolution in the country aimed at creating chaos and toppling the government.
Deputy Inspector general of police Khalid Abu Bakar said based on intelligence gathered, police have found that a group is trying to invite people to cause chaos during the election by triggering `Malaysian Spring`.
Some 16,000 multi-coloured mini flags were first planted inside the Jalan Tempinis roundabout in Lucky Garden in Kuala Lumpur on April 14.
Since then, the movement has spread to nearby suburbs such as Damansara Heights, Sri Hartamas and even to other states like Perak and even further afield to Barcelona and London.
Khalid said that the police have started removing the coloured flags ahead of tomorrow`s polling.
"We urge all those involved in organising this illegal activity to cease immediately or face stern action by police," said Khalid.
"Before the democratic process is even finished, there are already people who are trying to demonstrate through Malaysian Spring," added Khalid.
Khalid said police were working on several leads on the identities of the organisers and would act on those leads soon, the Malaysia Insider reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read