Polls open in Chilean elections
Santiago: Poll opened on Sunday in Chilean general elections that are likely to propel to the presidency a conservative billionaire who is challenging the centre-left coalition`s 20-year rule.
Balloting began at 7:00 am (1000 GMT) and was expected to end at 4:00 pm (1900 GMT), with first official results due for release around three hours later.
There are 8.3 million registered voters in Chile, with a bias towards an older electorate because of apathy among the country`s youth.
Sebastian Pinera, 60, whose fortune is put at USD 1.2 billion by Forbes magazine, has a solid lead over his leftwing rivals, former president Eduardo Frei, 67, and a charismatic former film director, Marco Enriquez-Ominami, 36, according to voter intention surveys.
Should Pinera win, it would mean a return to rightwing rule for Chile -- a prosperous South American nation that is the world`s biggest copper producer -- for the first time since the end of General Augusto Pinochet`s 1974-1990 military dictatorship.
Sunday`s elections will also renew Chile`s 120-seat Chamber of Deputies and 20 of the 38 members of the Senate.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!