Polls open in Chilean elections
Santiago: Poll opened on Sunday in Chilean general elections that are likely to propel to the presidency a conservative billionaire who is challenging the centre-left coalition`s 20-year rule.
Balloting began at 7:00 am (1000 GMT) and was expected to end at 4:00 pm (1900 GMT), with first official results due for release around three hours later.
There are 8.3 million registered voters in Chile, with a bias towards an older electorate because of apathy among the country`s youth.
Sebastian Pinera, 60, whose fortune is put at USD 1.2 billion by Forbes magazine, has a solid lead over his leftwing rivals, former president Eduardo Frei, 67, and a charismatic former film director, Marco Enriquez-Ominami, 36, according to voter intention surveys.
Should Pinera win, it would mean a return to rightwing rule for Chile -- a prosperous South American nation that is the world`s biggest copper producer -- for the first time since the end of General Augusto Pinochet`s 1974-1990 military dictatorship.
Sunday`s elections will also renew Chile`s 120-seat Chamber of Deputies and 20 of the 38 members of the Senate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...