Pope tweets for the first time
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has written a message on Twitter praising Jesus and announcing the launch of a new Vatican website, in the first tweet? by a leader of the Roman Catholic Church.
“Dear Friends, I just launched www.news.va. Praised be our Lord Jesus Christ! With my prayers and blessings, Benedictus XVI,” wrote the pope, using his formal name in Latin - the Vatican`s official language.
The Vatican has embraced social media in recent months, launching popular Facebook and YouTube pages and courting bloggers as it tries to get the church`s message out to a wider and more youthful audience.
The church also used a website to receive notifications of purported miracles attributed to late Pope John Paul II and is launching an e-learning initiative to address the problem of child abuse by priests.
The news.va web portal is set to be formally launched today.
It will provide news and pictures from the Vatican`s radio and television stations and its official newspaper, Osservatore Romano.
The portal will initially be in English and Italian with plans to include a third language, probably Spanish, after the summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read