Pope tweets for the first time
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has written a message on Twitter praising Jesus and announcing the launch of a new Vatican website, in the first tweet? by a leader of the Roman Catholic Church.
“Dear Friends, I just launched www.news.va. Praised be our Lord Jesus Christ! With my prayers and blessings, Benedictus XVI,” wrote the pope, using his formal name in Latin - the Vatican`s official language.
The Vatican has embraced social media in recent months, launching popular Facebook and YouTube pages and courting bloggers as it tries to get the church`s message out to a wider and more youthful audience.
The church also used a website to receive notifications of purported miracles attributed to late Pope John Paul II and is launching an e-learning initiative to address the problem of child abuse by priests.
The news.va web portal is set to be formally launched today.
It will provide news and pictures from the Vatican`s radio and television stations and its official newspaper, Osservatore Romano.
The portal will initially be in English and Italian with plans to include a third language, probably Spanish, after the summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive