Priests are a gift to church and the world: Pope
Vatican City: The Pope is publicly applauding priests for being a "gift" to both the church and the world, despite the clergy abuse scandals that have saddened or angered many Catholics.
Pope Benedict XVI says priests — from saints and martyrs to the unheralded pastors toiling in tiny parishes — have been key to bringing what he called authentic spiritual and social renewal throughout history.
The Pope, who was addressing pilgrims Sunday in St. Peter`s Square, made no mention of the scandals tainting the church. He said God`s love gives priests the ability to forgive their enemies.
On Friday, Benedict begged forgiveness from victims of priests who sexually abused them and made a symbolic pledge to do everything possible to protect children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video