Prince Charles contender for King of Romania?
London: Central European newspapers have speculated that Prince Charles could lay claim to the throne in Romania because of his ancestral links with Vlad the Impaler and King Michael.
Vlad the Impaler was a bloodthirsty nobleman of Romania who inspired Dracula while King Michael, 90, was the last king of the country who reigned from 1927 to 1930, and again from 1940 to 1947.
He was forced to abdicate after the communist government came to power in Romania.
Despite turning to democracy, in recent times there have been calls for a return to monarchy in Romania.
Prince Charles, the longest serving heir apparent in the history of Britain, revealed in an interview a few weeks ago that he is related to historical Vlad the Impaler.
“The genealogy shows I am descended from Vlad the Impaler, so I do have a bit of a stake in the country,” the Daily Mail quoted him as saying in an interview.
His mother, Queen Elizabeth II, is also third cousin to the deposed King Michael whose great-great-grandmother was Queen Victoria.
Romania’s powerful tourism and development minister, Elena Udrea, flew to London last week to meet with Charles at Clarence House.
After the meeting, Udrea spoke of the Prince in glowing terms and said Romanians should be more like him and ‘appreciate the country they live in’.
In 2004, Queen Elizabeth had met Romanian President Ion Iliescu at the Buckingham Palace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says