Qatar to open 1st women-only cinema in Middle East
Doha: A Qatar sports centre says it plans a women-only cinema that would be the latest no-men-allowed venture in the Gulf.
The Aspire Zone Foundation says the 154-seat movie theatre will open on Thursday in a section of the government-backed sports complex reserved for women’s events.
An extra film will be screened on Saturday for children who will have to be accompanied by a female relative.
Films to be screened will be known two weeks in advance. However, the presentation schedule will change according to the popularity of a particular film.
The announcement on Monday is another example of businesses catering to traditional gender segregation in the Gulf, which attracts millions of workers from around the world.
In Dubai, the state-run taxi company has women-only cabs with female drivers and sets aside some cars in its metro rail system for women. Saudi Arabia follows strict Islamic customs that keep the sexes from mingling, but its smaller Gulf neighbours have far more Western-style social rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan