Qatar to open 1st women-only cinema in Middle East
Doha: A Qatar sports centre says it plans a women-only cinema that would be the latest no-men-allowed venture in the Gulf.
The Aspire Zone Foundation says the 154-seat movie theatre will open on Thursday in a section of the government-backed sports complex reserved for women’s events.
An extra film will be screened on Saturday for children who will have to be accompanied by a female relative.
Films to be screened will be known two weeks in advance. However, the presentation schedule will change according to the popularity of a particular film.
The announcement on Monday is another example of businesses catering to traditional gender segregation in the Gulf, which attracts millions of workers from around the world.
In Dubai, the state-run taxi company has women-only cabs with female drivers and sets aside some cars in its metro rail system for women. Saudi Arabia follows strict Islamic customs that keep the sexes from mingling, but its smaller Gulf neighbours have far more Western-style social rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Soon, Skype will not run on these Windows, Android phones
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate