Quake rattles Philippines, death toll rises
Manila: At least 44 people were killed after an earthquake measuring 6.7 on the Richter scale jolted a central Philippines province Monday, Xinhua quoted a military official as saying.
The temblor struck the Negros Oriental province.
According to the US Geological Survey (USGS), the quake struck at 11.49 a.m. about 70 km from the coastal city of Dumaguete on the Philippine island of Negros, CNN reported.
At least 29 people died in the Planas village and 10 in Guihulngan city due to the landslide triggered by quake, Col. Francisco Patrimonio informed reporters through a a text message.
Other fatalities included two in Tayasan town, two in Bindoy and one in Jimalalud.
According to the official, the earthquake also damaged three bridges -- Matilo bridge in La Libertad town and Ayungon bridge and Dayoyo bridge in Jimalalud.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31