Queen and Prince Philip complete 65 years of wedlock
London: Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip Tuesday celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary, a landmark which no other British monarch has achieved.
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh celebrated their Blue Sapphire wedding anniversary today as the monarch notched up yet another landmark in her Diamond Jubilee year.
They are one of around 2,000 couples in Britain who will reach their Blue Sapphire wedding anniversary this year, but the royal couple had no plans for a major celebration, the Daily Telegraph reported.
After attending the Royal Variety Performance in London last night, the Queen and the 91-year-old Duke were to spend a quiet day together.
A spokesman for the Queen said the couple would be "marking the day privately".
But while the 86-year-old Queen may choose not to make a fuss about the landmark, huge changes in social trends during her reign mean the record could stand as long as the monarchy does.
Three of her four children have divorced, having married when they were older than the Queen at the time of her own marriage, mirroring changes which have taken place at all levels of society.
Social historian Steven King, Professor of Medical Humanities at Leicester University, said: "If we look to the future people are certainly going to live longer, but they are not going to get married and those who do get married will tend to leave it much later in life."
"The average age for people getting married is now in their 30s, whereas when Queen Victoria came to the throne the average age for a bride was 22 or 23 at the very latest," he said.
"Coupled with that is the fact that divorce has become much easier and more commonplace since the 1960s and 70s, so the chance of anyone surpassing the Queen`s record becomes ever more unlikely," he added.
When the Queen first met Prince Philip in 1939, she was just 13 and he was a naval cadet asked to entertain George VI`s daughters as the king visited Dartmouth Naval College. He played croquet with his future bride, who became his pen-pal during the war.
When the couple married at Westminster Abbey in 1947, the Queen had to use ration coupons to buy the material for her dress, designed by Norman Hartnell.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared