Rapist in UK spared jail for being Islamic student
London: An 18-year-old Muslim boy in Britain was spared jail term despite raping a teenager when the judge heard that the youngster studied at an Islamic school which taught him that women were worthless.
Adil Rashid, 18, claimed he was not aware that it was illegal for him to have sex with the girl because his education left him ignorant of British law, Daily Mail reported.
Judge Michael Stokes handed Rashid a suspended sentence, saying: "Although chronologically 18, it is quite clear from the reports that you are very naive and immature when it comes to sexual matters."
Earlier, the Nottingham Crown Court heard that such crimes usually result in a four to seven-year prison sentence.
The judge, however, said since Rashid was "passive" and "lacking assertiveness", sending him to jail might cause him "more damage than good".
Rashid, from Birmingham city, admitted he had sex with the girl, saying he had been "tempted by her" after meeting her online.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended