Rapist in UK spared jail for being Islamic student
London: An 18-year-old Muslim boy in Britain was spared jail term despite raping a teenager when the judge heard that the youngster studied at an Islamic school which taught him that women were worthless.
Adil Rashid, 18, claimed he was not aware that it was illegal for him to have sex with the girl because his education left him ignorant of British law, Daily Mail reported.
Judge Michael Stokes handed Rashid a suspended sentence, saying: "Although chronologically 18, it is quite clear from the reports that you are very naive and immature when it comes to sexual matters."
Earlier, the Nottingham Crown Court heard that such crimes usually result in a four to seven-year prison sentence.
The judge, however, said since Rashid was "passive" and "lacking assertiveness", sending him to jail might cause him "more damage than good".
Rashid, from Birmingham city, admitted he had sex with the girl, saying he had been "tempted by her" after meeting her online.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday