Rapist in UK spared jail for being Islamic student
London: An 18-year-old Muslim boy in Britain was spared jail term despite raping a teenager when the judge heard that the youngster studied at an Islamic school which taught him that women were worthless.
Adil Rashid, 18, claimed he was not aware that it was illegal for him to have sex with the girl because his education left him ignorant of British law, Daily Mail reported.
Judge Michael Stokes handed Rashid a suspended sentence, saying: "Although chronologically 18, it is quite clear from the reports that you are very naive and immature when it comes to sexual matters."
Earlier, the Nottingham Crown Court heard that such crimes usually result in a four to seven-year prison sentence.
The judge, however, said since Rashid was "passive" and "lacking assertiveness", sending him to jail might cause him "more damage than good".
Rashid, from Birmingham city, admitted he had sex with the girl, saying he had been "tempted by her" after meeting her online.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley