Russia foils terror plot targeting Sochi Olympics
Moscow: A terror plot targeting the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics in Russia has been foiled, Russia`s National Anti-Terrorism Committee said on Thursday.
Three men suspected of being ringleaders of a cell of the North Caucasus-based terrorist group Caucasus Emirate or Imarat Kavkaz were arrested in Abkhazia on May 04-05 on suspicion of plotting an attack, the committee said.
Police seized weapons, included three man-portable surface-to-air missiles, two anti-tank guided rockets, a mortar and a flamethrower.
The militants planned to transfer the arms to Sochi in by 2014 and use them to carry out terrorist attacks during the Olympics, the committee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi