Russia foils terror plot targeting Sochi Olympics
Moscow: A terror plot targeting the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics in Russia has been foiled, Russia`s National Anti-Terrorism Committee said on Thursday.
Three men suspected of being ringleaders of a cell of the North Caucasus-based terrorist group Caucasus Emirate or Imarat Kavkaz were arrested in Abkhazia on May 04-05 on suspicion of plotting an attack, the committee said.
Police seized weapons, included three man-portable surface-to-air missiles, two anti-tank guided rockets, a mortar and a flamethrower.
The militants planned to transfer the arms to Sochi in by 2014 and use them to carry out terrorist attacks during the Olympics, the committee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- DNA : Today in History, 26th July, 2016