Russia foils terror plot targeting Sochi Olympics
Moscow: A terror plot targeting the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics in Russia has been foiled, Russia`s National Anti-Terrorism Committee said on Thursday.
Three men suspected of being ringleaders of a cell of the North Caucasus-based terrorist group Caucasus Emirate or Imarat Kavkaz were arrested in Abkhazia on May 04-05 on suspicion of plotting an attack, the committee said.
Police seized weapons, included three man-portable surface-to-air missiles, two anti-tank guided rockets, a mortar and a flamethrower.
The militants planned to transfer the arms to Sochi in by 2014 and use them to carry out terrorist attacks during the Olympics, the committee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video