Russia foils terror plot targeting Sochi Olympics
Moscow: A terror plot targeting the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics in Russia has been foiled, Russia`s National Anti-Terrorism Committee said on Thursday.
Three men suspected of being ringleaders of a cell of the North Caucasus-based terrorist group Caucasus Emirate or Imarat Kavkaz were arrested in Abkhazia on May 04-05 on suspicion of plotting an attack, the committee said.
Police seized weapons, included three man-portable surface-to-air missiles, two anti-tank guided rockets, a mortar and a flamethrower.
The militants planned to transfer the arms to Sochi in by 2014 and use them to carry out terrorist attacks during the Olympics, the committee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion