Russia foils terror plot targeting Sochi Olympics
Moscow: A terror plot targeting the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics in Russia has been foiled, Russia`s National Anti-Terrorism Committee said on Thursday.
Three men suspected of being ringleaders of a cell of the North Caucasus-based terrorist group Caucasus Emirate or Imarat Kavkaz were arrested in Abkhazia on May 04-05 on suspicion of plotting an attack, the committee said.
Police seized weapons, included three man-portable surface-to-air missiles, two anti-tank guided rockets, a mortar and a flamethrower.
The militants planned to transfer the arms to Sochi in by 2014 and use them to carry out terrorist attacks during the Olympics, the committee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah