Russia prepares Navy for possible US military strike on Syria
Johannesburg: Russia has reportedly prepared its naval forces to respond to a possible missile strike in Syria by the United States.
A Russian military source confirmed that their naval vessels in the Mediterranean were capable of influencing any kind of military situation arising due to escalation in the Syrian conflict, News24 reports.
According to the report, the anti-submarine ship Admiral Panteleyev has already entered its zone of operation as the flagship of the current rotation of the naval grouping in the Mediterranean.
Meanwhile, the missile cruiser Moskva, from the Black Sea fleet, is also on its way to the eastern Mediterranean to assume the role of the Russian flagship.
The US already has a strong naval presence in the region and the possible US military strike against Syria is widely expected to be launched from the sea.
Moscow has warned that the US-led plans for military action against the regime of Bashar al-Assad for using chemical weapon against civilians on the suburbs of Damascus will destabilise the entire region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened