Russia to send permanent navy fleet to Mediterranean
Moscow: The Russian Navy would station a permanent task force in the Mediterranean Sea, Admiral Viktor Chirkov said here Sunday.
"Up to five or six warships must be present in the Mediterranean Sea on a permanent basis," Chirkov said in an interview with a TV station run by the Defense Ministry, adding the squadron would be made up of frigates, cruisers and support vessels.
The task force would be under the command of Russia``s Black Sea Fleet, he said.
Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said earlier Monday the navy possessed the capabilities to form a workable squadron in the region.
However, he did not give a timetable for the deployment, which would need to ensure logistics and maintenance of warships in the Mediterranean.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police