Russia to send permanent navy fleet to Mediterranean
Moscow: The Russian Navy would station a permanent task force in the Mediterranean Sea, Admiral Viktor Chirkov said here Sunday.
"Up to five or six warships must be present in the Mediterranean Sea on a permanent basis," Chirkov said in an interview with a TV station run by the Defense Ministry, adding the squadron would be made up of frigates, cruisers and support vessels.
The task force would be under the command of Russia``s Black Sea Fleet, he said.
Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said earlier Monday the navy possessed the capabilities to form a workable squadron in the region.
However, he did not give a timetable for the deployment, which would need to ensure logistics and maintenance of warships in the Mediterranean.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Now KRK gets in on the act, blasts Piers Morgan for tweeting about PM Modi
- Seven killed in road accident in Uttar Pradesh's Ambedkarnagar
- Searching for weekend get aways in South? Give it a look
- HORRIFIC: Woman gang-raped, attacked with acid before being dumped on road in Kanpur
- Curfew lifted from Kashmir's Anantnag after 49 days, remains in force in other parts