Russia to send permanent navy fleet to Mediterranean
Moscow: The Russian Navy would station a permanent task force in the Mediterranean Sea, Admiral Viktor Chirkov said here Sunday.
"Up to five or six warships must be present in the Mediterranean Sea on a permanent basis," Chirkov said in an interview with a TV station run by the Defense Ministry, adding the squadron would be made up of frigates, cruisers and support vessels.
The task force would be under the command of Russia``s Black Sea Fleet, he said.
Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said earlier Monday the navy possessed the capabilities to form a workable squadron in the region.
However, he did not give a timetable for the deployment, which would need to ensure logistics and maintenance of warships in the Mediterranean.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- IBPS clerk V mains exams results to be uploaded on official website soon; notification out
- 'Walking Up With Kolkata' – This video will make you fall in love with the City of Joy