Russia to send permanent navy fleet to Mediterranean
Moscow: The Russian Navy would station a permanent task force in the Mediterranean Sea, Admiral Viktor Chirkov said here Sunday.
"Up to five or six warships must be present in the Mediterranean Sea on a permanent basis," Chirkov said in an interview with a TV station run by the Defense Ministry, adding the squadron would be made up of frigates, cruisers and support vessels.
The task force would be under the command of Russia``s Black Sea Fleet, he said.
Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said earlier Monday the navy possessed the capabilities to form a workable squadron in the region.
However, he did not give a timetable for the deployment, which would need to ensure logistics and maintenance of warships in the Mediterranean.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- Abducted Australian aid worker freed in Afghanistan
- CM Chouhan in US to woo investors, says MP 'ideal' for investment
- China's first driverless subway line to launch in 2017
- I do what I believe in, can't have double standards: Radhika Apte
- SC asks banks to respond to Vijay Mallya's plea against contempt notice