Russian cop declines $1.5 mn bribe, to be awarded
Moscow: A Moscow traffic policeman is set to receive a state award in recognition of his honesty in refusing to accept $1.5 million as bribe.
The award comes to him as Russia celebrates a rare breakthrough in its fight against rampant graft.
According to the country`s interior ministry, the officer will receive a commendation and a 100,000 ruble ($3,220) bonus.
A resident of the Far Eastern Federal District had attempted to pass the 45 million ruble ($1.5 million) backhander in exchange for the officer illegally registering and issuing documents for around 300 trucks. But he was arrested Wednesday as he tried to hand over part of the money, a TV report said.
Criminal proceedings have been launched and an investigation is underway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof