Russia`s ruling party launches online poll on Lenin`s burial
Moscow: Russia`s ruling party has launched a
website announcing an online poll on the burial of
revolutionary leader Vladimir Lenin amid demands that his
mummified body, which has been kept at his tomb on the
historic Red Square since his death in 1924, be removed from
The poll of the `goodbyelenin.ru` website of the United
Russia party has only one question "Do you back the idea of
burying the body of Vladimir Lenin?" The question requires a
"Yes" or "No" as answer, `Ria Novosti` reported.
It said that a total of 288 people had cast their vote so
far. Out of them, 74 per cent supported the proposal of
burying Lenin and 26 per cent were against it.
Lenin, the founder of the erstwhile Soviet Union, died on
January 21, 1924 and his body was embalmed and placed in a
specially-built mausoleum on Moscow`s Red Square. The body is
kept in a glass casket for public viewing.
However, after the dissolution of the Soviet Union in
1991, there had been demands that his body be removed from the
red granite tomb on Red Square.
A prominent Russian lawmaker recently dubbed Lenin as a
an "extremely controversial political figure."
"Lenin is an extremely controversial political figure and
his presence in the necropolis in the heart of our country is
extremely silly," Vladimir Medinsky, a State Duma Member from
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin-led United Russia party was
quoted as saying by the Interfax.
Lenin had led the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution in Russia and
set up the world`s `first state of workers and farmers`.
"We have something stupid, pagan, corpse-worshipper`s
mission on the Red Square. There is nothing left of Lenin`s
body, specialists know that only 10 per cent of the body is
left, rest has been ... substituted," Medinsky said pressing
for the removal of the embalmed body of the leader from the
mausoleum on Red Square.
The issue of removing body of the Bolshevik leader from
near the Kremlin wall has split the society.
Former Russian Patriarch Alexi-II had demanded a fitting
`Christian` burial for Lenin by the side of his mother in St
Petersburg as per the last wish of the Soviet leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi