S Korea to chemically castrate child sex offender
Seoul: South Korea says it will chemically castrate a convicted serial child sex offender in its first use of such a punishment.
The Justice Ministry said on Thursday the 45-year-old man will get an injection aimed at inhibiting sexually violent impulses tomorrow. A psychiatric test concluded he is a paedophile and needs medication.
South Korea legislated chemical castration in 2010 after a series of violent sexual assaults on children sparked public outrage.
The ministry says the man will be released from a prison in July but must get the injection every three months for three years.
The ministry says the man could get up to seven years in prison if he rejects the injection.
He was convicted four times of raping or sexually molesting girls under the ages of 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you