S Korea to chemically castrate child sex offender
Seoul: South Korea says it will chemically castrate a convicted serial child sex offender in its first use of such a punishment.
The Justice Ministry said on Thursday the 45-year-old man will get an injection aimed at inhibiting sexually violent impulses tomorrow. A psychiatric test concluded he is a paedophile and needs medication.
South Korea legislated chemical castration in 2010 after a series of violent sexual assaults on children sparked public outrage.
The ministry says the man will be released from a prison in July but must get the injection every three months for three years.
The ministry says the man could get up to seven years in prison if he rejects the injection.
He was convicted four times of raping or sexually molesting girls under the ages of 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city