S Korean Prez apologises for surge in sex crimes
Seoul: South Korean President Lee Myung-bak offered a public apology on Friday after a seven-year-old girl became the latest victim of a recent series of sex crimes.
"I apologise to the people on behalf of the government," Lee said during a rare visit to the National Police Agency in Seoul, one day after the rape case in Naju, South Jeolla Province, reported Xinhua.
"Strengthening public safety should be a policy priority," he added, according to presidential office Cheong Wa Dae.
Police later arrested a 27-year-old man, surnamed Koh, for kidnapping and raping the girl, who has been hospitalised for treatment for a ruptured intestine.
The case came only days after a 42-year-old convicted sex offender wearing an electronic anklet attempted to rape and then killed a 37-year-old woman in her home in eastern Seoul.
Recent police data showed a total of 19,489 sex crimes were committed last year, which puts the daily average at 53, a 6.7 percent increase from 2010.
The government has said it plans to increase police manpower, with up to 700 additional police officers set to oversee sex offenders deemed most likely to re-offend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing