Senate confirms 1st US special envoy to Myanmar
Washington: The Senate has confirmed the
nomination of the first US special envoy to Myanmar.
Derek Mitchell will lead Washington`s efforts to
engage with the military-dominated Asian country and encourage
democratic reform that have progressed little in two years.
Mitchell was previously a senior defense official for
Asia-Pacific affairs. His new position as special
representative and policy coordinator for Myanmar has the rank
It has been vacant since it was mandated under 2008
legislation that increased sanctions on Myanmar`s regime.
The Senate also confirmed late Monday the nomination
of David Shear as ambassador to Vietnam that had been blocked
by lawmakers protesting US handling of adoptions of Vietnamese
orphans by some American families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought