Senate confirms 1st US special envoy to Myanmar
Washington: The Senate has confirmed the
nomination of the first US special envoy to Myanmar.
Derek Mitchell will lead Washington`s efforts to
engage with the military-dominated Asian country and encourage
democratic reform that have progressed little in two years.
Mitchell was previously a senior defense official for
Asia-Pacific affairs. His new position as special
representative and policy coordinator for Myanmar has the rank
It has been vacant since it was mandated under 2008
legislation that increased sanctions on Myanmar`s regime.
The Senate also confirmed late Monday the nomination
of David Shear as ambassador to Vietnam that had been blocked
by lawmakers protesting US handling of adoptions of Vietnamese
orphans by some American families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon