Senate confirms 1st US special envoy to Myanmar
Washington: The Senate has confirmed the
nomination of the first US special envoy to Myanmar.
Derek Mitchell will lead Washington`s efforts to
engage with the military-dominated Asian country and encourage
democratic reform that have progressed little in two years.
Mitchell was previously a senior defense official for
Asia-Pacific affairs. His new position as special
representative and policy coordinator for Myanmar has the rank
It has been vacant since it was mandated under 2008
legislation that increased sanctions on Myanmar`s regime.
The Senate also confirmed late Monday the nomination
of David Shear as ambassador to Vietnam that had been blocked
by lawmakers protesting US handling of adoptions of Vietnamese
orphans by some American families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award