Seven Slovaks held in Iran for violating laws
Tehran: Seven Slovak citizens have been arrested in Iran for violating laws of the country. They travelled as tourists, but had "unconventional behaviour and equipment", Iranian officials said on Sunday.
Western media reports said several Slovak citizens, reportedly a group of paragliders, were detained in Iran around three weeks ago, and that they were arrested for taking pictures of military installations from a hang glider and were charged with spying.
A senior Iranian lawmaker confirmed the arrest of the Slovakians on charges of "possessing unconventional instruments", Iran`s Mehr said.
"These individuals were in possession of equipment that civilians usually do not have access to," said Alaeddin Boroujerdi, chairman of Iran`s Majlis (parliament) National Security and Foreign Policy Commission.
Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Abbas Araqchi said: "These people had travelled to Iran as tourists, but they had unconventional behaviour and equipment."
He did not elaborate on the time and place of the arrest.
The Slovak foreign ministry confirmed the case, but its spokesman Boris Gandel said the detainees had travelled to Iran for an "expedition" in May.
The Slovak government and its ambassador in Tehran have been informed about the arrests, and a consular access has already been provided, the Iranian spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre